Conceived at the height of the Spanish Civil War, it became the emblem of the modernity of the Republican government.
The vast majority of Spain's avant-garde artists made an appearance at this pavilion, which represented the government of the second Spanish Republic in the 1937 International Exhibition in Paris. It was here that Pablo Ruiz Picasso's painting 'Guernica' was presented to the world for the first time.
It was designed by Josep Lluís Sert and Luis Lacasa. Sert was a disciple of Le Corbusier and envisaged the building based on a clearly rationalist and supremely functional concept. Using prefabricated elements, he built a pavilion with three storeys linked by means of a stairway or side ramps, where the main feature was its transparency, both on the interior (fluidity) and on the exterior (glass and crystal).
In 1992 an exact replica was built in Barcelona, and is today the site of the Library of the Pavilion of the Republic and the Centre of International Historic Studies.